This one-day course will identify the benefits of appraisals and reviews. It will allow the delegates to learn and practise the key skills required to plan for and hold effective appraisal meetings. Role-play exercises, with feedback from fellow delegates and the trainer, will be a feature of the course and delegates will be encouraged to share real life experiences and examples from their place of work.
Suitable for individuals who carry out staff appraisals and are looking to build their confidence and effectiveness in this essential skill. The course is suited to those who are new to appraisals or have limited experience in this area.
In order to focus on your development needs, you will be asked to think about the documentation currently used before, during and after appraisal meetings in your current workplace.
Delegates will learn how to:
By the end of this course you will be able to:
• Understand the tools needed and benefits of running appraisal meetings
• Confidently plan and prepare for a successful review meeting
• Improve your communication skills and remain fair and consistent with all staff
• Improve your listening skills, and tackle performance problems effectively.
• Develop honest and open communications during review meeting.
• Show empathy and inspire and motivate staff to perform better
• Understand how to set clear objectives
The Importance of Staff Appraisal and Review
• The purpose and benefits of appraisals and reviews
• Aligning appraisal reviews with organisational success
• Defining the barriers to effective appraisals and reviews
• Understanding your role and responsibilities as an effective appraiser
Effective Planning & Preparation for the Appraisal or Review
• Gathering the information you need: drafting an appraisal plan
• Understanding the importance of the organisation’s competencies for staff appraisal and development
• The importance of fairness and equality in the application of the system
• Gathering supporting evidence and data
The Appraisal/Review meeting
• Establishing open and honest communications
• Questioning and listening skills
• Planning and conducting a structured, balanced and participative discussion
• Reviewing current compared to previous performance
• Providing clear, specific and motivational feedback
• Overcoming resistance and handling uncooperative individuals
Managing the Performance
• Identifying the causes of poor performance
• Addressing issues of poor performance confidently
• Setting SMART Objectives
|Course Duration||1 Day|