The course will likely be attended by SQL Server report creators who are interested in alternative methods of presenting data.
After completing this Power BI course, students will be able to:
- Perform Power BI desktop data transformation.
- Describe Power BI desktop modelling.
- Create a Power BI desktop visualization.
- Implement the Power BI service.
- Describe how to connect to Excel data.
- Describe how to collaborate with Power BI data.
- Connect directly to data stores.
- Describe the Power BI developer API.
- Describe the Power BI mobile app.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Some basic knowledge of data warehouse schema topology (including star and snowflake schemas)
- Some exposure to basic programming constructs (such as looping and branching)
- An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue, profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications – particularly Excel
Module 1: Power BI Desktop Data Transformations
This module describes how to import fata into Power BI.
- What is Power BI?
- Power BI data
Lab : Import Data to Power BI
- Import data to Power BI desktop
- Import data from CSV files
- Import data from a less structured file
Module 2: Power BI Desktop Modeling
This module introduces Power BI desktop modeling.
- Optimizing data models
Lab : Manage Power BI data
- Manage table relationships
- Last year comparison
- Year to date
- Market share
- Optimize the data model
Module 3: Power BI Desktop Visualization
At the end of this module students will be able to create a Power BI desktop visualization.
- Visualizing your data
- Working with multiple visualizations
Lab : Create reports with visualizations
- Cross-tabular reports
- Part-to-Whole reports
- Relationship reports
- Trend reports
- Rank reports
Module 4: Power BI Service
This module describes how to implement the Power BI service.
- Working with the Power BI service
- Configuring a dashboard
- Viewing a Power BI Dashboard
Lab : Implementing the Power BI service
- Upload a Power BI report
- Share a Power BI dashboard
- Configure data refresh
Module 5: Working with Excel
This module describes how to connect to Excel as a source of data.
- Importing data from excel
- Analyzing data in Excel
Lab : Working with Excel
- Uploading an Excel file with an Excel table
- Uploading an Excel file with a data model
Module 6: Organization Content Packs, Security, and groups
This module describes how to collaborate with Power BI data.
- Content packs
Lab : Working with Organization Content Packs
- Create a content pack
- Edit a content pack
- Share a content pack
Module 7: Direct Connectivity
This module describes various connectivity options using Power BI.
- Cloud data
- Connecting to analysis services
Lab : Direct Connectivity
- Direct connectivity from Power BI desktop
- Direct connectivity from the Power BI service
Module 8: Developer API
This module describes the developer API within Power BI.
- The developer API
- Custom visuals
Lab : Using the developer API
Module 9: Power BI mobile app
This module describes the Power BI mobile app.
- The Power BI mobile app
- Using the Power BI mobile app
- Power BI embedded